“The United Churches of the Chambersburg Area (UCCA) provides the Franklin County citizenry with a “9/11” Memorial and Veterans Memorial Park, adjacent to the historic Letterkenny Chapel, as a place of reflection and remembrance, to memorialize those who lost their lives during the attack on America on September 11, 2001, and to pay tribute to the Veterans of Franklin County who have or now Serve the Nation in the Armed Forces, and who are the First Responders for our Community.”
In 1995, the United Churches of the Chambersburg Area (UCCA) received title to the Chapel and its grounds; a Chapel constructed in 1945 by the Italian Prisoners of War who were being held here at Letterkenny Ordinance Depot, 1944-1945, before being Repatriated back to Italy in October 1945. The newly constructed Chapel was Dedicated on May 13, 1945, by the Apostolic Nuncio (The Pope’s Ambassador to the United Sates), and served for many years, as a Military Chapel. The UCCA committed itself to restoring and maintaining this beautiful property and furthering its ministry to succeeding generations.
Local artist and sculptor, Michael Fisher, designed the 9/11 Memorial and the Veterans’ Memorial Park, and his associate, Peter Nicklas, Sunset Metal Works, fabricated the 9/11 Memorial; all in time for the official dedication ceremony conducted on Armed Forces Day, Saturday, May 19, 2012, with more than 400 in attendance.
The Memorial was dedicated by the First Counselor to the Apostolic Nuncio, the Vatican’s Ambassador to the United States, just as was done by the Apostolic Nuncio for this military Chapel in 1945.
There will be a Veteran’s Day Service at the chapel, the Sunday before Veteran’s Day at 3:00PM
Take a brief moment to view drone footage of the memorial to those who have served in the military and other first responders.